Tuesday, August 19, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Dork Diaries 6: Tales from a Not-So-Happy Heartbreaker


Yes, this the 6th book in this series.

The Author: Rachel Renee Russell

The Illustrator: Rachel Renee Russell

The Publisher: Aladdin books The Publish Date: 2013

The Genre: Realistic Fiction

The Suggested Age: 10-14 The Suggested Reading Level: 4th grade-8th grade Chapter-Book Readers

If you really enjoyed this book, try: PIE, Stargirl, the Dear America series, and the other Dork Diaries books!

This is the 6th book about middle school dork, Nikki Maxwell written by New York Times Bestselling Series Author, Rachel Renee Russell. This drama-filled book about a teen who is extremely insecure, a great illustrator, and overall a total dork. It is about gathering the courage to ask her crush to go to the biggest dance of the year, an “evil” popular girl, and being cyberbullied, and an embarrassing photo. I like the fact that it practically screams to be true to yourself, and to feel free to stand up to do something that is right.

My favorite part was “Miss Bri-Bri.” I find that part hilarious, but others with a smaller sister who often experience this, might not feel so compelled to burst out laughing, probably more like groan in sympathy. I like the fact that there is a VERY wacky character in this book. (Brianna!) : ) I also enjoyed that Nikki gets her revenge on MacKenzie by making her jump into a dumpster. But, just remember, getting back isn’t always the answer. Just because its payback, doesn’t mean it’s right.

My highlight was the “pictures” to give you more of a reality-like experience in the whole prom thing. I thought it was an ingenious touch on Russell’s part. It gave you a glimpse of the outfits, the characters and the personality of the book. I love how basically it shows how a rotten messes can turn out to work just fine!

I enjoyed this book because it has such of a fantastic combo of comedy, weirdness, and a strong morale. It worked perfectly for Russell (in my opinion) because I wanted to re-read her other books, and it made me want to read this book OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It was so good, I couldn’t put it down!

I rate it 8 out of 10


WRITTEN BY: AN, 7/27/2014