Wednesday, August 13, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Will at the Battle of Gettysburg

Laurie Calkhoven

SCHOLASTIC 2011

Historical fiction, action

Age range 11-18 There is quite a lot of blood and a disturbing scene in a make shift hospital. Reading level grade 5-6.

Will at the battle of Gettysburg is an action packed war book about Will, a boy living in Gettysburg. Will dreams of being a drummer boy in the army. But when war does come, it is not like he expects. Will does many things, and meets an unlikely friend. But will he survive????

I like it when will meets Mr. Lincoln because the speech he delivers is amazing.

It makes me feel sad to think that a war was fought over slavery.

I really liked that Will made friends with a soldier on the other side.

I thought it had an o.k. story but it was too bloody.

I rate it 5 out of 10

WRITTEN BY: WN, 7/12/2014